Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The one where I say "vagina"

Recently, I was reading this article about the 10 biggest scientific advances of 2009. One of them was this new method of surgery wherein they preform "ectomies" (the removal of stuff) through an "already existing opening." That would be the mouth or the vagina, folks.

Gross.

So they are talking about all this removing through the vagina (that seemed to be the favored route) and I keep thinking it's a little creepy. But maybe we can get over that if it is true that the rate of complications and infections are less, recovery is faster and less painful, and scarring is minimized. The thing is, they don't have to cut through so many layers. And no cutting of abdominal muscles.

So I start thinking (and this is pretty much my exact thought process), That doesn't sound so bad. I've had a couple of surgeries ("ectomies," if you will) in the past few years and let me tell you, they were no spring picnic. The scars don't bother me so much as the recovery. Maybe they can figure out how to use this 'vaginal removal procedure' with women having babies.

Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment