Thursday, February 28, 2013

You should probably feel bad

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but to me, being told not to feel bad is almost always my first cue that I should probably be feeling badly.

The haircutting lady told me,"Now don't even feel bad about your hairline. Nobody has a perfect hairline!" It actually had not previously occurred to me to feel bad about my hairline. But now I feel bad about my hairline. I still don't even know what's wrong with it.   

I took Sam to the doctor for his unending runny nose and she told me, "Don't feel bad for not bringing him in sooner! Some parents are just a lot more laize-faire!" Well, I didn't feel bad about not bringing him in sooner, because it's a RUNNY NOSE and who brings a kid to the doctor for a runny nose unless it is the unending runny nose that my kids get and then after 4 months of a runny nose I bring them in and now that you mention it, actually, you're right. I'm a really bad parent.

See?  When someone says, "don't feel bad," it automatically means they were sitting there thinking, "Wow, if she's any kind of normal person, she being eaten up with guilt and embarrassment. I'm going to try to calm her down."

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what is wrong with your hair line either...which is making me wonder what might be wrong with my hair line.

    The hippocratic oath must include something about making at least one awkward / crappy / doubt-inflicting comment...I get that all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad about sending Lilly to pre-school... ;)

    ReplyDelete