Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Princesses NEVER!

Lilly, despite seeing only her second princess movie ever in the past few months, is quite comfortable with the idea of being a princess.

To Lilly, being a princess means only two things:

1) wearing a "beautiful" outfit
2) not doing something she doesn't want to do.

I believe I have mentioned the "princesses don't wear underwear" debacle.

I didn't know at the time, but that was the dawning of a new age around here.

The ushering in of a new era of "But MOM!  Princesses don't . . . "

. . . take their plates in!

. . . go to sleep!

. . . eat tuna for dinner!

And that's all fine, really.  I get it.  It's not the MOST annoying way for her to say she doesn't like something.

Whatever, right?

The thing is, she also uses it In Public.

So she says things like:

"Princesses don't put their heads underwater, right, mom?"

"Princesses don't climb on monkey bars, right, mom?"

"Princesses don't ride bikes, right, mom?"

Which is her way of saying, 'I'm a little scared of putting my head under water, or climbing on monkey bars, or riding a bike.'

Which is no big deal.

Except, apparently, if you are a stranger sitting next to us in public, it sounds just a touch like I'm a pageant mom.  A Toddlers in Tiaras kind of situation, if you know what I mean.

Like I've just been drilling into her that she is a princess and princesses don't eat fattening foods and they don't get their hair messy and they never rub their mascara off, right Lil' Lilly Lou Bobbi?

And I just feel like I don't really deserve the look that that lady standing near us in the pool just gave me.


No comments:

Post a Comment