Thursday, July 22, 2010

Comfort vs. preparedness

I love air conditioning. I think that, while it may not have been the most important invention to humanity as a whole, it sure does make my life better.

As a side note, you know what I wish they had? A thesaurus for words that are not actually words but you think they are and then find out that they are not but you still want to use the word. For example, I just found out that "impactful" is not a word. In my opening paragraph I wanted to say, "while it may not have been the most impactful invention . . . " but then I couldn't. Because it's not a word. So I'm left to decide between changing the whole structure of my sentence or replacing "impactful" with the clearly less accurate and exciting word, "important." So I wish they had a thesaurus for when you find out that a word doesn't exist, but would still like a word with the same meaning as your previous imaginary word.

As another side note, I really would use that item. I apparently use a lot of made up words, and I get angry when I'm not allowed to use them anymore.

Back to air conditioners. So, while I enjoy them very very VERY much, I do have some problems with our particular air conditioner. Because it is very loud. And it makes a lot of hushing and shushing noises which sound a lot like little sock-ed feet pattering across the hallway and into my room.

I must be secretly (obviously?) scared of my children, because when our air conditioner is on I will wrench myself awake ten or twenty times a night, wildly attempting to ascertain which one of them is trying to sneak up on me.

I don't really understand why it is so terrifying to wake up to a two-year-old patting your face, but one of these days, one of my kids is going to give me a heart attack.


No comments:

Post a Comment