Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Looks can be deceiving.

I went to dinner with some work friends recently.

I was the only one there who was married or had kids.

There were a lot of us.  It was rowdy.

Young people!  Sheesh!

At the table next to ours, there was a couple with their daughter.  I'd say about 13 months old.  Biggish baby / littlish toddler type.

Much ruckus was happening at our table, until whispering floated down from the other end of the table.

Apparently, we were now feeling bad, because the baby at the next table had cancer.

Aww.  That's terrible.  How sad!

Wait, but how do we know the baby has cancer?

I'm thinking there must be an IV port in her arm, or a hospital tag on her or something.

Because she's lost all her hair.

"Guys," I say, "I don't think the baby has cancer.  I think the baby is just bald."

I'm pretty sure the baby was just bald.

But if she did have cancer, sorry about the noise.

------------------------------------------------------

I was dropping the boys off at school today.

Let me set the scene.  Cold.  Like, "feels like -8" cold.  Blustery.  Limited vision because of all the awful snow.

I see a teenager - probably about 16.  He is dressed only in a hoodie, jeans, a pair of very visible boxers, and a weird backpack.

As he got closer, I figured out that the weird backpack was his little brother, whom he had given a piggy-back ride to school.  In the cold and snow.  Wearing only a hoodie.

At one point, his pants started to go down, as they are wont to do when you wear them that low to begin with.  But he just shifted his brother up, grabbed his jeans, held on to them both and kept on truckin'.

It was really very sweet.

I guess teenagers are not 100% awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment