Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crap. I just learned a lesson.

So I’ve been pretty busy at work recently and there is a fundamental truth that bosses don’t like to acknowledge that says NOBODY’S PERFECT. Especially when things are busy. I don’t know if I’m incompetent or maybe just one of those people who would NOT make it through a gunfight (I’d be all, oh my god, oh my god, did I go to the bathroom? I think I have to pee. Oh jesus I just dropped my gun because my hands are all sweaty) but I feel like when I try to go reeeeally fast at work I forget about things like, oh, double checking stuff.

Fortunately, I’m senior enough at my job that when I make a mistake I can generally fix it before anyone else notices. But twice recently I have EFFED UP. The more recent of my two errors comes, conveniently, days before my purchasing account at work gets audited. I thought I was keeping "complete and accurate records," but I went back through and, well, long story short, there is a charge I never allocated. I emailed the guy in charge and he said it was too late to fix it. Whoa. I mean, it’s not like I inadvertently hit the red button and launched a nuclear warhead. I’m not hanging in midair after driving off a cliff. I didn't hit "reply all" when talking smack about my friend. How can forgetting to allocate a charge not be fixable? Can’t we just, like, I don’t know, allocate it now? Or reimburse somebody? Anyway, he said, “Well, I guess we just need to be more careful in the future.”

And that’s when I realized I had Learned a Valuable Lesson.


I hate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment