Saturday, June 27, 2009

Good times, good times

The other day, when it was hot as balls, I deliberately took a mental step back and thought about how freakin' cold it was this past January, aka the Month That Would Not End.

It didn't help. It was still hot as balls, and I was still sweaty and uncomfortable. But it did make me think about how in-the-moment life it.

Chris and I celebrated our five year anniversary yesterday. We went to a really nice restaurant (3 Birds, in Lakewood - try the bacon & blueberry pizza), and we started trying to list our top five memories of the last five years with the stipulation that it couldn't include our kids.

We couldn't come up with much.
-Number one, looking at the stars one night in Hawaii on our honeymoon.
-Number two, watching the entire second season of House on DVD right after Sam was born. Wait. That's not very romantic. Also, it kind of includes our kids. Whatever, moving on.
-Number three, our 2nd anniversary dinner. Have we only gone out five times since getting married?
-Number four, going to Becky and Gil's wedding. Oh. Except then you got wasted and I had to call the lobby and make the receptionist go find you and bring you back to our room. That wasn't cool.

See, it's not that I don't have good times with my husband. It's just that time moves quickly people. More quickly the older I get. And what with the getting older and all, I have more to remember but my brain isn't getting any bigger.

So right now, at this moment, my neck hurts because I pulled a muscle painting (shut up) but everything else is in pretty good working order. The smell of roasting marshmallows is coming through the window. Windows I can keep open because it is summer and my Dad installed new screens. My children are asleep. It's been over two and a half days since somebody has thrown up. I love the new paint in the living room. I have three more days before I have to go back to work. I had fun today, taking Owen and my Dad to the West Side Market.

This is a good moment. I don't know if I'll remember it, but I'm going to try. Because remember what it felt like when it had been below freezing for over a month? Neither do I, really, but remembering that it happened helps me appreciate this short-sleeved shirt I'm wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment